Which of the following is the best example of a thixotropic fluid?
Right Answer is:
The study of the deformation and flow of fluids and includes the fundamental parameters of elasticity, plasticity, and viscosity. The state of a fluid is characterized by three principal types of behavior depending on the nature of flow:
- Time Independent Fluid
- Time dependent Fluid
- Viscoelastic Fluid
- For these fluids, the relation between shear stress and the shear rate depends on the time and flow history of the fluid.
- They are classified as being either thixotropic or antithixotropic (or rheopectic).
- For thixotropic fluids, the shear stress decreases with time for given shear stress. This is due to a structural breakdown of the fluid.
- If a cyclic experiment is carried out, a hysteresis loop is formed. Examples include greases, printing inks, jelly, paints, and drilling muds.
- In antithixotropic fluids, the shear stress increases with time for given shear stress. Examples include clay suspensions and gypsum suspensions.